Get Help
Support from other organisations


As the cost of living crisis deepens, Helm understands that it is a challenging time for many people.

But there is support out there to help everyone, no matter who they are, where they are from or what they are dealing with.

Here is a current list of support and benefit links:

Information available from local councils
Benefits and support

Make sure you are receiving all the benefits and support that you are entitled to. There are benefit calculators available on the internet and through the council websites, but also get in touch with your work coach, with citizens advice and organisations like social security Scotland.

All young people aged 5 – 21 are entitled to free bus travel through the Young Scot Card – if you know a young person who isn’t taking advantage of this opportunity, they can apply here Your local authority can also help you apply.

Warm banks and cosy spaces

Warm Banks or Cosy Spaces are popping up all over. These are community spaces that will be open at certain days and times, when anyone is welcome to come in and get cosy, have a blether and in some cases there will be warm food available or different activities. There are always more Warm Banks opening so please search online, or ask your local library or local authority for where is available locally.

Dundee Warm Spaces

Angus Warm Spaces

Fife Warm Spaces

Perth & Kinross Warm Spaces

D&A College

D&A College have a range of options available for their students and staff to make sure they are secure, including a free breakfast each morning at any of the campuses with catering and new options coming up all the time. If you are a D&A College student or member of staff simply get in touch with the Help Desk team for more information.

There are also grants that you can apply for financial support from, find out more below.

Housing Support

Shelter Scotland provide a wide range of information, advice and support. This includes an inline chat, a free helpline and online resources. They also have a local office in Dundee who can be contacted directly. To find out more visit their website

Each local authority provides information for those who are at risk of becoming homeless. These services are available 24/7.




Perth & Kinross

Citizens Advice Scotland offer a wide range of housing information, from what to do if you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, to your rights and responsibilities within a tenancy. For further information visit their website

Scottish Welfare Fund - Crisis Grant

You need to be over 16 and receiving a low income to receive a grant. The grant covers food, clothes, heating costs, living expenses while waiting for a first benefit payment, travel expenses. It can’t be used for rent or a deposit.  The turnaround is roughly 2 days. Applications can be refused, but you can appeal.

To find out more, click here

Scottish Welfare Fund - Community Care grant

You need to be over 16, on low income, and either moving into a new home after being homeless, leaving or remaining out of care, leaving prison or leaving domestic abuse. The grant can cover clothing, furniture, bedding, white goods, connection costs for utilities, costs for moving home, costs for getting a new job, travel costs (certain ones, ie to visit someone in hospital). It can’t use for rent or a deposit. Usually you won’t receive cash, you’ll receive the actual items you need the grant for. The turnaround is within 15 days. If it’s likely to take longer, the council should let you know when you apply.

To find out more, click here

Discretionary Housing Payment

You can apply if you’re getting housing benefit or universal credit and your benefits don’t cover the full cost of rent. (but aren’t eligible if due to DWP benefit sanctions). The grant can cover some/all rent that isn’t covered by benefits, tenancy deposits and rent in advance, moving costs, rent arrears caused by benefits shortfall. To apply you have to give as much detail as possible about why struggling (disabilities, care responsibilities, unexpected event, at risk of homelessness etc) and will usually need evidence.

If successful, you will usually get DHP for a set number of months, you can apply again after if you still need support but council won’t remind you. You have to notify them if your circumstances change.  It is paid along with your housing benefit payments.

To find out more, click here

If you’re interested in finding out more about any aspects of Helm, take a look at the different pages on our website.

Alternatively, our friendly team are always here to help and can be reached on

Helm Monthly newsletter

Sign up to our monthly newsletter and you'll receive regular updates straight to your inbox, allowing you to be the first to know about the latest developments, success stories and upcoming events.

Helm has been supporting young people aged 15 to 25 years, in Dundee, to gain education and employment, for over 40 years. As a grassroots organisation we have maintained our connections with communities as we have grown to work across Tayside.

Contact Us


Sea Captain’s House
48 St Andrew’s Lane
Dundee DD1 2EY

+44 1382 224464

Social Media

Ask us a question?